Even if a child is born outside of the United States, they can still be a U.S. citizen; and proof of U.S. citizenship is needed to register for school, apply for a passport, and so much more.
Any child born outside of the United States to U.S. citizen parents may acquire U.S. citizenship (as long as all requirements are met). The parents must apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) at the nearest embassy or consulate as soon as possible.
When applying for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, the parents may also apply for a U.S. passport for the child.
Traveling outside of the United States again may require you to apostille your CRBA.
Apostille Consular Report of Birth Abroad
An apostille certifies the authenticity of a document and is recognized by all countries that are members of the Hague Convention of 1961. It is an accepted way to verify all documents are true copies of the original. If your destination country is not a member of the Hague Convention of 1961, you will also be required to work with the Embassy or Consulate to legalize your CRBA.
Steps to obtaining an apostille for your Consular Report of Birth Abroad:
- If you do not have your original CRBA, you may request one from companies such as VitalChek
- Send the original or certified copy to the U.S. Department of State in Washington D.C. to apply for an apostille
- If your destination country is not a member of the Hague Convention of 1961, your next step is to send the Report and apostille to the Embassy or Consulate for legalization
While this does not seem like a lot of steps, remember this is not a process that happens quickly – and there are fees associated with each company or department.
Instead, let One Source Process handle this for you.
Let One Source Process Apostille your Consular Report of Birth Abroad
We can efficiently apostille or legalize your CRBA for you. We know the governmental processes and can quickly have this done.
- Simply fill out the Order Form here
- Send us the original or certified copy of your Consular Report of Birth Abroad
We take the time, worry, and extra fees out of the equation.
Plus… We also offer professional translation services if required!
Let’s get started today. You can Contact Us anytime if you have questions or concerns. We are here 7 days a week and ready to work with you.